Thursday, March 8, 2012

experiencing GDC (from behind a screen)

Last year, around this time, I had a very important decision to make. I was going to go on a trip, somewhere, anywhere, and I didn't really care about when and where as long as it promised some degree of awesomeness.

The choices were:
1). Spend $ attending Daisho Con in my state for a weekend
2). Spend $$$ going to the Game Developers Conference (GDC) on the other side of the country for a week

Given that I lack $$$, but possess some $, I chose the first alternative.

And then, a few days ago, I found myself jumping on the hot hashtag of the moment:
So jealous that I'm too young/poor/ugly/weird/school to go to #GDC this time around. Or E3. Or IndieCade. Or anywhere away from here.
Now, why I would go to GDC, I have little idea. That is, I have very little "professional" excuses I can throw out there. I haven't made any games yet. I don't work for anyone else's company. I don't even work for any news outlet other than my friendly neighborhood social media round-up gang. And truthfully, someone like me probably couldn't reap the benefits of GDC (publicity, inside jokes, relevant panels, and parties) without having earned an award or some respectable title within the industry itself. That said--it would still be awesome. And pretty dang so.

So right now I sit in my hobbit hole in the Shire, mulling at my computer, brainstorming this article pitch and that story concept, biding my time and my money. That said, I've been able to still enjoy elements of GDC thanks to things like Twitter--bringing the "there" to the "here" that is my current reality.

Remember the charming, romantic, and wonderfully storybook-like One and One Story? Well, its young creator Mattia Traverso got to see his project available for free play at a game booth--being played by real people. As somebody his age and lacking his particular talents, I can only describe my reaction as jealous-and-in-awe, wondering what it's like to see a product you made go crazy all over Google being experienced in live action. Kudos to you, MaTx.

Remember that amazing game of Crayola rainbow and unicorn fluffiness Ponycorns designed (at least in part) by Ryan Creighton of Untold Entertainment's adorable 5-year-old daughter (well, I can only assume she must be adorable)? He's selling ponycorn buttons/pins right there. I mean, seriously. Who wouldn't want a ponycorn button after getting a melted heart from playing that game? (They're also online if anyone's interested).

Remember that best golf game ever Wonderputt? Reece Millidge of the Damp Gnat studio asks if "anyone understood the bit about the cheesecake" and advertises free naked man badges at the IGF booth.

Guess I know what I have to look forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment