The Trader of Stories
Genre(s): Weird/unknown, puzzle, art
Credits: Pastel Games, 2010
Many thanks to Zekk Rotaru for recommending this neat title!
These days it seems like every little genre, type, platform, et cetera classification in the game industry is inundated with fantasy, science fiction, and just plain ol' modern contemporary-ness. And these labels have always been a part of the industry since its birth. Video games were our first glance toward the future, and every five years' breaking new next-gen platform continues to aspire to "the next big thing" in technological evolution. So when a game with a serenely paced mood, a highly linear story set in what feels like an alternate universe 1600s America, and illustrated-storybook gameplay comes along my way, you can understand why I was initially skeptical of The Trader of Stories.
![]() |
| As you gather more information from the scattered townspeople, your Book of Stories gains more pieces of the puzzle that make up the mysterious love story. |
It wasn't until I stopped trying to squeeze more out of the linear gameplay that I realized that The Trader of Stories had a magic of its very own. I started actually noticing the sketchbook illustrations, listening to the ambient acoustics, and paying attention to the unfolding dialogue hints about the origins of the enigmatic Derrida and his secret lover. Suddenly I felt immersed; I felt a part of a different timeline. It wasn't just another Kongregate badge diversion; I was reading a young adult or children's book, like the ones I sometimes stumble upon when I get lost in the library, making me feel all fuzzy and warm with a fond nostalgia. There's no bad guy to defeat, no diabolical dilemma to solve—just a mystery to explore and questions to answer. In fact, its open ending leads one to believe that this is simply a chapter in a collection of similar adventures about the protagonist's life. Its timeless, nostalgic themes exist to remind us just how valuable stories really are in games.
Next time: This one's often quipped as "the hardest game in the world" and not without reason.


No comments:
Post a Comment