A week or so ago I announced the Transcended Awards, a ceremony I fully
intend to conduct every month or so to recognize the best of the best
casual games that get the royal treatment on this site. If you didn't know about this before, or want to recall all the details, I made a little page up there on the white bar for it. Mhm.
The other day I sat down for two minutes and carefully counted exactly 5 exalted votes between the Facebook question responses and the blog site poll.
And the winner is...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...Echo Bazaar—a truly stellar point-and-click MMO, set in one of the richest literary atmospheres you’ll find in a game: that of apocalyptic, steampunk Victorian London. Its sarcastic narration and queer quests suck the player into a lively world far more interesting than any stereotypical Facebook game as far as I’ve seen. In short, it totally deserved the award.
When I initially bounced the contest idea off a friend as we discussed our blogging endeavors, she told me simply, “it’s too soon.” I thought otherwise, that despite my lack of regular readers or subscribers, perhaps it could be a way to “hook in” more people. After all, casual games (at least the ones I review) don’t require a purchase, or a software download, or even a big time investment. Admittedly, yes, five exalted votes aren't my idea of a population sample—but it works, for now. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Things I will do next time to make the Transcended Awards an even better success:
1. promote the living daylights out of it. Yes, my many Facebook friends who aren’t reading this, I’m coming for you. :)
2. generate active blog awareness, period.
So keep on playing games and reading reviews, my friends, because when the nominations comes up at the end of the month, you'll want to be prepared.

No comments:
Post a Comment